Matthew C. DiMaio
- Real Estate Transactions 25%
- Commercial Transactions 20%
- Commercial and General Litigation 45%
- Entertainment Law; Copyright Law; and Trademark Law 10%
Matt DiMaio is an associate attorney in Astor Weiss's Real Estate Business Law and Commercial Litigation Departments. Matt focuses his practice on commercial real estate transactions, business transactions, and commercial litigation. He enjoys the challenging nature of the practice of law.
Since graduating Villanova University Charles Widger School of Law in 2017 and prior to joining Astor Weiss, Matt was an associate with another Philadelphia law firm. His practice involved many areas of civil litigation, including but not limited to commercial contract disputes, landlord tenant disputes, and foreclosures.
Matt also has experience with copyright law, trademark law, and entertainment law. He assisted with Intellectual Property litigation, aided with trademark applications and responses to office actions, and drafted memoranda, complaints, and motions. He has also conducted legal research and analysis in areas of copyright and trademark fair use and clearance law.
While in law school, Matt was very involved in professional development opportunities; he was co-president of the Art Law Society, involved in the Sports & Entertainment Society, Pro Bono Society, and Intellectual Property Society, and took part in a moot court competition. For his pro bono work, he was a recipient of a Villanova University Charles Widger School of Law Dorothy Day Pro Bono Award in 2017 for providing direct legal services to the poor or disenfranchised. In his role in the Art Law Society, Matt organized an event featuring a presentation and performance from Simon Tam and The Slants while they were waiting for SCOTUS to rule on their case, Matal v. Tam.
In addition to practicing law, Matt is an avid runner who is also a former high school cross country and track & field coach. He enjoys attending concerts, adding records to his vinyl collection, keeping up with Philadelphia sports, and reading.
- Villanova University School of Law, Villanova, Pennsylvania
- J.D. - 2017
- The University of Scranton, Scranton, Pennsylvania
- Honors: cum laude
- Major: Communication and History
- Pennsylvania, 2017
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court Western District of Pennsylvania
- The Copyright Society of United States of America, Member, Present
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Chair of the Copyright Law Committee, 2021 to 2022
- Philadelphia Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts, 2019