Compassionate, Skilled Representation In Wrongful Death Litigation
In a case involving wrongful death, someone – usually a family member – has died as a result of someone else’s negligence. When this occurs, the family is entitled to certain damages determined by the Pennsylvania Wrongful Death Act. The attorneys at Astor Weiss Kaplan & Mandel LLP, can help you seek full and fair compensation from the at-fault party or parties.
What Types Of Damages Are Available?
According to Pennsylvania’s Wrongful Death Act, individuals (usually family members) are able to, “recover damages for the death of an individual caused by wrongful act or neglect or unlawful violence of another.” 42 Pa. C.S. Section 8301 (a). There are certain damages that the decedent’s family members are entitled to, including compensation for:
- Hospital and medical bills
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Estate administration expenses
- Other pecuniary losses
- Contribution of the decedent to the family or household, from the date of death to the date of the trial (the amount granted is determined by several different factors such as what the deceased would have contributed to the household if they lived out to their full life expectancy)
In addition, there are also a number of benefits that the family is entitled to including compensation for the loss of these benefits from the decedent:
- Moral upbringing
- Monetary contributions for medical bills, entertainment, gifts, recreation, and education
Personal injury lawyers from Astor Weiss Kaplan & Mandel LLP, are equipped to help clients deal with a wide range of legal services, including wrongful death cases. Likewise, our estates department can work with the family to set up an estate and walk you through that process during a difficult time. Our attorneys deal with these difficult situations and help on all aspects, including raising an estate, administering an estate, and helping with a claim against the person who is responsible for compensating the deceased individual’s family.